VMware Workstation Pro is the industry standard for running multiple operating systems as virtual machines (VMs) on a single Linux or Windows PC. IT professionals, developers and businesses who build, test or demo software for any device, platform or cloud rely on Workstation Pro.
Workstation Pro delivers a desktop virtualisation solution designed for every kind of user. IT pros get a high-powered productivity tool. Developers get an expansive engineering environment. Business leaders can enable BYO initiatives. Students and home users get the best of all worlds.
- vSphere Connectivity:Use Workstation Pro to connect to vSphere, ESXi or other Workstation Pro servers. Drive remote Linux or Windows VMs (and others), command power operations or transfer VMs to and from vSphere environments. A common VMware hypervisor enables simple portability.
- Clones for Rapid Duplication:Save time and effort and ensure an exact duplicate when repeatedly creating the same VM setup. Use “Linked Clones” to quickly duplicate a VM while significantly reducing physical disk space. Use “Full Clones” to create fully isolated duplicates that can be shared with others.
- Powerful Virtual Networking: Create complex IPv4 or IPv6 virtual networks for VMs or integrate with third-party software to design full data center topologies using real-world routing software and tools. New in Workstation is Network Simulation for introducing packet loss, latency and bandwidth restrictions.
VMware Workstation Pro - Features
- High-Performance 3D Graphics: VMware Workstation Pro supports DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3 to deliver a fluid and responsive experience when running 3D applications. Run the most highly demanding 3D apps like AutoCAD or SOLIDWORKS with near-native performance in a Windows VM.
- High Resolution Display Support: Workstation Pro is optimised to support high-resolution 4K UHD (3840x2160) displays for desktops and QHD+ (3200x1800) displays used in laptops and x86 tablets. It also supports multiple monitors with different DPI settings, such as a new 4K UHD display along with an existing 1080p HD display.
- Helpful Snapshots: Create a rollback point to revert to on the fly, which is perfect for testing unknown software or creating customer demos. Multiple snapshots make it easy to test a variety of different scenarios without the need to install multiple operating systems.
- Cross Compatibility: Create Linux or Windows VMs that can run across the VMware product portfolio or create restricted VMs for use in Horizon FLEX. VMware supports the open standard so you can create and play VMs from other vendors.
- Monster Virtual Machines: Create massive VMs with up to 16 vCPUs, 8 TB virtual disks and 64 GB of memory to run the most demanding desktop and server applications in a virtualised environment. Give graphics-intensive apps an additional boost by allocating up to 2GB of available host video memory to a VM.
- Restricted Access to Virtual Machines: Protect corporate content by restricting access to Workstation VM settings like drag-and-drop, copy-and-paste and connections to USB devices. Virtual machines can be encrypted and password-protected to ensure only authorised users have access.
- Shared Virtual Machines:Quickly share and test applications in a simulated production environment. Run VMware Workstation Pro as a server to share a repository of pre-loaded Linux and Windows VMs in every desired configuration with your teammates, department or organisation.
VMware Workstation Pro - System Requirements
Systems using Processors (CPUs) launched in 2011 or later are supported except:
- Intel Atom processors based on the 2011 “Bonnell” micro-architecture (e.g. Atom Z670/Z650; Atom N570)
- Systems using Intel Atom processors based on the 2012 “Saltwell” micro-architecture (e.g. Atom S1200, Atom D2700/D2500, Atom N2800/N2600).
- Systems using AMD processors based on the “Llano” and “Bobcat” micro-architectures (e.g. code-named “Hondo”, “Ontario”, “Zacate”, “Llano”)
In addition the following are supported:
- Systems using Intel processors based on the 2010 “Westmere” micro-architecture (e.g. Xeon 5600, Xeon 3600, Core i7-970, Core i7-980, Core i7-990)
- 1.3GHz or faster core speed
- 2GB RAM minimum/ 4GB RAM or more recommended
Host Operating Systems (64-bit)
- Ubuntu 14.04 and above
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 & above
- CentOS 6.0 and above
- Oracle Linux 6.0 and above
- openSUSE Leap 42.2 and above
- SUSE Linux 12 and above
Guest Operating Systems
More than 200 operating systems are supported, including:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.X
- Windows 7
- Windows XP
- Red Hat
- Oracle Linux
For a complete list of supported host and guest the operating systems visit the VMware Compatibility Guide.