Developed for blind computer users, SuperNova Screen Reader is a software screen reader that works by reading the screen interactively and communicating through a speech synthesiser or a refreshable Braille display. SuperNova Screen Reader talks as you type, announcing words or characters so you can check what you write. A single key allows you to read an entire document, email or web page.
SuperNova Screen Reader has been developed for computer users who are blind and can be used at home, at work and in education.
- Windows 8: Built to provide high quality magnification, speech and Braille access to desktops and laptops running 32-bit and 64-bit editions of: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise.
- Applications and Apps: Windows 8 comes with a set of new Windows 8-style apps launched from the new Start Screen. These apps include: Mail, Calendar, Store, Sky Drive etc.
- Notifications: Toast Notifications indicate when something interesting is happening by popping up a message in the upper right.
- Plug and Play-type Connectivity: For dozens of USB Braille displays.
- Speech access: To 64-bit Windows Logon and secure desktop screens.
- Links: Pressing UP or DOWN arrow keys the Dolphin Cursor treats each link as if it were on its own line.
- Headings: As well as using H and SHIFT+H to move to the next and previous Heading of any level, numbers 1 to 6 on the number row now take the Dolphin Cursor to headings of a particular level.
- Lists: Jump to 3 types of lists on web pages: ordered, unordered and definition. Press L or SHIFT+L to move to the next or previous list.
- Tables: The Dolphin Cursor is kept within the row/column you're currently navigating rather than trying to skip empty cells.
- Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA): Automatically recognises and reports the following ARIA roles and attributes: landmarks, buttons, checkboxes, radio buttons and labels.
- ARIA landmarks: When a page loads in Internet Explorer the number of Landmarks is announced.
- Access keys: If you can hear "shortcut" followed by a number or letter this means the current object has an Access Key and you can return to this point from anywhere on the same pages by pressing ALT with the Access Key.
- HasOnClick: Similar to a link but may do something special when clicked with the mouse.
- OnMouseOver: Usually means the web page does something special when the mouse pointer hovers in the vicinity of that content.
- Form filling: TAB or press E to move the Dolphin Cursor to the next Edit Area and Supernova will switch to using Forms Mode automatically allowing text to be typed in. Ppress ESCAPE to return to using the Dolphin Cursor without losing your position on the page.
- Flash: Dolphin Cursor navigates accessible Flash in line with other text and controls on web pages.
- Speech announcements: Dozens of Medium and High Verbosity announcements to provide useful and reassuring information describing what is happening while using Microsoft Office applications.
- Braille display support: Humanware Brailliant B80, Humanware Brailliant BI40, Humanware Brailliant BI32, HIMS BrailleEdge 40.
- Helpful announcements: When using Adobe Reader XI and Windows Media Player.
- Online tutorial for Adobe Reader XI: Available from the Tutorial pages of the Dolphin website.